What is Water Hammer?
Have been wondering the meaning of water hammer? The term is usually ambiguous to none professionals. However, in case your apartment has been water-logged due to pipe burst, then it is likely you have experienced water hammer. Yes, that’s correct! Here’s how it goes: you are in your couch having a great time with your loved ones. Abruptly, a disturbing pounding sound goes off! You go round the apartment wondering where on earth the sound is coming from. As you continue your search around the house, you then make your way to the kitchen. Lo and behold, the pipe that supplies water to your kitchen faucet has just burst. Yes, that’s a water hammer!
Why the sound?
Also called fluid hammer, water hammer is associated with sound due to increase in pressure of water, making the faucet, valve or any other water appliance to shut off. When this pressure increases, the direction or momentum of water flow changes, thus causing the noise produced.
Consequences of Water Hammer
Water hammer usually leaves some effects whenever it occurs. Typically, you may notice blown seals, gaskets, diaphragms, gauges and other parts that carry water to your home or workplace.
Apart from having enormous negative effects on the water system, water hammer could also have safety consequences.
The most effective method of preventing water hammer is by continuously checking the pressure of your water. Well, you can do it yourself by buying a water gauge kit from a nearby plumbing accessories dealer.
Preventing water hammer is achieved by putting the pressure on your water pipes in check. You can do that by following these steps:
- Ensure that you turn off all water appliances and faucets in your home or office. Afterward, screw the pressure gauge onto the valve close to your water mains
- The next step is to gradually open the valve until the valve becomes fully open
- Read the residual pressure the minute the gauge’s needle stops reading
- Repeat the process to ensure that your reading is accurate
- After measuring it the second time and the reading (pressure) is more than 80 psi, that’s a red flag.
- At this point, you must take the necessary step of contacting a specialist to do the needful, so as to avert a possible water hammer.
When you finally notice that your pipe is on the brink of experiencing a water hammer, you must take the right step by contacting plumbers from Mr. Rooter to carry out the necessary preventive measures. Mr. Rooter has the equipment and well-trained technicians to fix water hammer. At Mr. Rooter, we pride on using our wealth of industry experience to rectify all plumbing issues.
Apart from efficiently carrying out water hammer prevention, Mr. Rooter also offers a couple of other services. These services are:
- Plumbing repairs
- Design of domestic plumbing system
- Plumbing inspection
- Plumbing maintenance.
Here’s Why You Should Try Us
- Affordable water hammer prevention service
- Reliable plumbing services
- Rapid response to emergency
- 24/7 service delivery
- Unparalleled reputation.
Why not let us help you to prevent a possible water hammer in your home or office today.