Water Leak Prevention Techniques
Water leaks are a very common issue for home and business owners. Unfortunately, many leaks go unnoticed for years before someone is alerted to the problem. At Mr. Rooter of Atlanta, we’re proud to provide a wide range of professional plumbing services to our clients, including water leak detection and water leak repair. If you’re concerned that leaks both large and small could cause water damage to your property, we have some tips that can help you keep leaks at bay long term.
Why Property Owners Need to Take Precautions to Avoid Water Leaks
Catastrophic plumbing problems like burst pipes will always be taken care of immediately. The property owner is made aware of the situation right away, and can generally have the area affected restored to normal quickly. Unfortunately, small leaks can sometimes cause more damage. They often go completely unnoticed, while for months or even years the leak continues adding moisture to the walls, subflooring and infrastructure of the building. The potential consequences of developing these kinds of leaks may include toxic mold growth, rotted flooring, sagging drywall, and weakened lumber. The result is often massive renovation costs and in some cases, even exposure to health risks. By engaging in preventative techniques and routine maintenance, a property owner can reduce the chances of falling victim to leak issues.
Common Sources for Leaks in Homes and Businesses
Understanding the common sources for water leaks can help make detection and prevention more manageable. Most leaks come from the following:
- Hot Water Tanks
- Refrigerators, Dishwashers and other Appliances
- Toilets and Toilet Supply Lines
- Irrigation Systems
- Faucets and Drains
- Bathtubs and Showers
- Pipe Fixtures
By focusing on these areas for leak prevention, you will greatly reduce your chances of struggling with water damage. Always keep a watchful eye on the area surrounding these leak sources, and be sure to include them in your inspections and maintenance schedule.
Methods for Preventing Leaks
Thankfully, there are many methods that home and business owners can utilize to keep leaks at bay. Examples include:
- Checking the hoses and hose connections on your water heater, washing machine, dishwasher, ice maker and other appliances regularly and replacing them when necessary.
- Caulking and grouting around bathtubs, shower stalls and sinks.
- Insulating and winterizing your plumbing system during cold weather to prevent burst pipes.
- Draining and flushing your water heater every 6 to 12 months.
- Maintaining the air conditioner pan drain lines in your HVAC system.
- Taking care of your roof tiles and materials, and replacing damage quickly.
- Regularly cleaning out the gutters and downspouts.
- Schedule a professional plumbing inspection at least once or twice per year.
- Install a leak detection system.
Need a Local Certified Plumber? Call Mr. Rooter of Atlanta Today
Are you worried about the condition of your plumbing system? Do you suspect that leaks are causing water damage to your home or business? Then call the experts at Mr. Rooter of Atlanta, Georgia today. Our licensed and insured plumbers are ready to help. We offer leak detection, plumbing inspections, pipe repairs, plumbing fixture replacements and more. Contact our office for more information or to schedule an appointment with a qualified plumber in Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Marietta, College Park, Roswell, GA or another surrounding metro are neighborhood.